View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I did not record the guitar using the H5 (xy) mics. I connected the H5 to my DAW using a USB cable and had a pre-amp between the guitar and the H5, the guitar has a k&k mini (static) pickup. The eq on the pre amp had the bass and mids turned down and the treble at mid range.

The vocals were recorded the same way as the guitar, just using a different channel (4).
Ah ok that clears up the reason for the two mono files. Like iI said it appears that The H5 can only output 2 channels (usually a stereo interleaved file) Via USB
So the good news is that will work fine and you are as I said, getting a pretty decent recording. The only thing with the way you are doing now is that will prevent you getting more left to right spread on the guitar and to help giving your recording more of feeling of a real space
So in the future you might want to consider recording the guitar using the XY mic's

The only helpful critique I have and looking to the future , is the guitar and vocal do seem be a bit overlapping each other, or conflicting with each other such that I had trouble understanding a few phrases.

Recording/ Mixing 101 --- the human voice and the guitar occupy a significant amount of the same frequencies . And this can lead to either or both being less detailed and less distinct in the sound field

So first I would suggest to not use the EQ on the preamp for either the guitar or the vocal ---I would record completely dry and wait to apply FX like EQ. etc. in Reaper.

For example in Reaper you can EQ the guitar with a high pass filter for the low end and then use a slight wide Q lower Mid cut (in place of doing that on the preamp). And you then you can Eq vocal with a high pass and perhaps do a slight mid wide Q boost .This will help give detail to both... THEN perhaps consider a slight bit of compression on the vocal with a ratio of say 2:1 to 4:1 and a slight bit of gain

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4