View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, I was sure I read somewhere that they were hide glue...? or Natural Protein glue... which I thought was hide glue...? but either way I was surprised at the price point given it's like a $1500 upgrade on a customshop model...
Martin doesn't make a big deal out of it, and are fairly non-specific in their "natural protein glue construction" blurb on the MD model pages(s) on their website.

You're getting the VTS top and a lot of other differences from the Standard series that account for the price bump, I'd assume. It's not a bump over a Custom Shop model, IMO/IME, if you go through the steps of actually building a custom shop model based on a standard series, you'll blow past the MD MSRP pretty quickly. (I've never taken the step to contact a dealer to see what the actual selling price for a custom shop would be, vs. the street, i.e., discount from MAP, of a Standard or MD series.)

I've tried the OM and 000 of these and agree the 000 is a really big difference from the Standard series. The OM is different, and that might be a taste kind of thing.

The one thing that irks me in this series is the abalone side marker dots. Just can't get around their invisibility sometimes, depending on how the light hits them. Seems like a poor choice.