View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Lots of really good insight from everyone - thanks!

It does sound like Logic Pro is the big brother to GarageBand and would be the likely next step without feeling like I'm starting over.

GarageBand:
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 5.48.24 PM.jpg

Logic:

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 5.50.04 PM.jpg

hard to tell them apart :-)

I agree with Chris, that personally I feel like GarageBand is clunkier. They try to make it simple, and by dumbing it down, it actually makes things harder - since, knowing Logic, in the rare cases I use GarageBand, I'm always going "ok, where did they hide this feature?". Might have a different view if I didn't already know Logic. If $199's not an issue, I'd jump straight to Logic. If you're not sure, and want to experiment for free, GarageBand is there, and you won't lose anything, even if you create something great that you want to work on later in Logic.

Quote:
The comment from AlohaChris about room treatment hit a nerve. One of the reasons I started thinking about my recording set-up was because I'm hearing too much "noise" on my recordings. I realize that this is another whole topic but something I am planning to seriously pursue.
This is really key. Room acoustics and mic placement are 95% of the game. You can get away without extensive treatment if you're lucky enough to have a good sounding space. A furnished living room often works surprisingly well, with close micing. But more often, rooms need help, and a proper-sounding space makes mic placement less critical and just makes everything easier.