View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...I've looked at the Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin CW II on store websites and at about $1000 new, this Made In Canada ax looks to be a good value. Maybe I'll go to my local Guitar Center and see if they have one in stock.
Very hard to find new in stores (or even used - players who own them tend to treat them as keepers) - by the same token, it's one of the few guitars that I wouldn't have any second thoughts about buying online, sight unseen/unheard. FYI I bought mine from Amazon (not exactly known for their delicate treatment of instruments) on a Christmas Day 2012 flash sale (paid just a tick over $600 against the $1K street price); not only did the guitar have no issues, but it's one of exactly three guitars I've bought in my lifetime (including from dealers like Elderly and Mandolin Brothers) that needed no setup whatsoever - a high testimonial to Godin's construction and QC standards...

In case you're not aware it currently comes in two versions - the original twin P-90 and a dual-humbucker - and speaking as a happy owner I'd strongly recommend the former: a combination of Gretsch-style airiness (thanks to the extremely lightweight woods used in their construction - mine weighs just over five pounds, about the same as a Seagull mini-jumbo) and P-90 drive, which can take you from supper-club jazz - Tony Bennett's guitarist may still be using his CW II on tour - to rock crunch, and everything in between...