View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 06:48 PM

Default Michael Kelly Archtops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...The owner of the shop bases the used price mainly on the original cost of the guitar, and that's why it's only $599 even with the goodies added...
PSA: Nobody's in this business to lose money...

If it's the model I'm thinking of it's a typical MIC entry-level full-hollowbody, very similar to the Epiphone Joe Pass (put a bag over the head and you couldn't tell them apart) and selling for about $350-450 used (depending on condition)...

While I personally like the MK's I've played (mostly solids, a few acoustic-electrics, and the Dragonfly acoustic bass our last band's bass player owned) IME they don't hold their value like their Ibanez or Epiphone competitors; in a nutshell, the store owner probably has about $250-275 (possibly even less) invested and, in spite of his assertions to the contrary, is in fact selling it on the basis of the upgraded components...

If it plays well/sounds good and it's worth it to you, you've got yourself a no-worries jazz/rockabilly/blues box that you can take to a biker bar without a second thought; if not, scope out a used Epiphone ES-175 Premium or Godin CW II, both of which are IME (I own the latter BTW) intrinsically far more guitar for the money...