View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM

I closed the box Monday night by gluing the back onto the sides. Had to leave it until today because I was called to testify at a preliminary hearing on a child molestation case up in New Boston, Tx. My first time ever to testify in any court proceeding. So I drove up there last night, gave my stuff today and got to come home to the complete box.

I used a flush cutting bit in my Colt laminate trimmer to get rid of the excess top material so I could turn the body over and glue up the back, using the same mold and the colorful rubber bands. Then today I trimmed the back. On my first guitar build, I made the mistake of using almost the entire length of the bit to just trim the back. Because of everything not being totally square, there was some cutting and slight indentation on the sides that shouldn't have occurred. Every time since, I've made sure to just leave enough blade to cover the plate. Thought I'd mention that for other new folks like me - let me make the mistakes for you. I'm good at it!

I'm itching to bend the binding and the rest of the purfling, but I'm going to wait until the weekend so I can bend it and install it.
Bob