View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
How much do you think the Mx-t adds to the cost of the SC-13? In the past, I've seen new Sonotones on eBay for less than $20. I'd guess that Martin probably gets them for less than $10 and adds $30 to the price. It's no big deal if you replace it with something you like.

I've posted before that I think of the Sonotone/Mx-t, like seats that come on high-end bicycles. Nobody rides on the factory seat. In fact, most of those seats never leave the shop. Bicycle shops have been of OE seats for sale for $10. Believe me, when you are riding for hours every day, the seat on your bike is much more important than what pickup you use on your guitar!
I agree about the seat. I suspect the sonitone undersaddle element is very inexpensive at the wholesale level. The entire package of UST, VT wheels, futuristic battery/endjack and muting tuner - that's another story. My point was just that if Martin came out with a better electronics package & raised the price by $300, some players might still be unhappy with that system too. For those who want an Anthem or Trance or (insert here) - it's not like Martin has to build it in.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast