View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
If guitars do "open up", then they must do so at different rates, but still somehow manage to "leapfrog" each other in doing so.

Why do I say that?

Because I can prefer guitar A to guitar B to guitar C one week, but then the next week, prefer B to C to A, then next week prefer C to A to B, etc.

Frankly, I think our perception of sound (and our memory of it) changes far more than the guitar itself does.
I've noticed that effect, but I don't think it's due to 'opening up', which I think is a gradual process over many years, rather than week to week.

Some days one or other of my guitars just doesn't 'do it' for me - the tone just isn't there or it's not feeling right. I'm pretty sure this is down to humidity (humidity in my playing room swings between 45% and 60% at the moment) and temperature fluctuations. I imagine these changes affect each guitar a little differently, so usually at least one it in the zone.

The really bad days are when none are really singing... Then I just don't play, otherwise I get paranoid that something's wrong and that great tone is gone forever...

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele