View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Please help out a struggling old timer. I know nothing, zero, nada, not ANYTHING about how to record music at home. I don’t even know where to start. So, here is the situation:

My daughter, for whom I would do anything, has requested a few recordings of me playing my guitar. O.K., that’s the challenge.

I have a 4 track Tascam DR40 recorder that I have no idea of how it works, but complete instructions are available on line.

Wat I need is a simple guide or instructional video that tells what all of these “things” are. I do not speak “digital” I am completely ignorant of things “internet”. I need some really basic information here. Please help!

You already have a device, similar to the one that the person upthread recommends. You've found the manual for it. There is no easy to provide substitute for reading that manual to figuring out how to use the device to get a decent recording. We're not in the room with you, so we'd have to deal with all kinds of situations (as the manual probably does) to get to the place where your daughter gets the recordings. If you go on and read and then try to use your Tascam, and you get to a step that really stumps you on that path, using a link to the manual we might be able to help with a suggestion on that step.

Three other options:

Do you have a recent smart phone, perhaps one of the popular iPhone models? My iPhoone is simple (possible even more simple than a standalone device?) to use to record a simple mono recording that would sound like you and your guitar to the listener, and the same phone/device can be used to share the recording with your daughter. The Tascam can probably make better recordings than just using a phone's built-in mics, but for "better" see below.

Do you have a local friend or acquaintance who knows at least a bit about recording or technology in general? They could record you, using your Tascam or their own stuff. The Tascam takes external mics, so they might have a couple to help in this. As someone who has to engineer my own stuff, I'd say there's a lot to be said for having someone else worry about the technology -- even if one is comfortable with technology, which you say you're not. They could give you the results as computer files that could be emailed or otherwise shared, or even old school media like a CD disk.

If you have the time and funds, and want the recordings to be the best you could make, then "seek professional help" is an option. Not everyone lives where recording studios are present, but if so, I mention it as an option for best quality.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....