View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Probably? I have an old (2010) X7 with a round soundhole in the center.
I think 2010 was the beginning of the end for the center hole X7s (v1). I had one, sold it, and very shortly after they announced the front-facing offset soundhole X7 (v2), I ordered one and received it in 2011. For some time, they were described on the website as X7-OS. Later, without other changes, the "OS" was dropped and it became the standard X7 model for Emerald. OS was no longer part of the name.

I recall they continued to produce and offer both the center and the off-set on their website at the same time for a period, but later, the center hole was removed and produced only by special request for fold dedicated to center holes. Guessing that once it was removed--there was no reason to designate the off-set version with "OS" anymore--so it was shortened to just X7.

Ordering the center hole by special request may still be possible for all I know, but for the most part, people liked the off-set version so much the center hole has just faded away.

The latest version of the X7 is actually a fairly radical step forward compared to v1 & v2. Those two sounded very much the same. But the newest version has significant changes in the sound hole, body size, construction, etc.

I would expect I would like current version more than either v1 or v2 from years past.