View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Frank for getting the conversation started and thanks Earl and Bob for the very useful professional advice! Bob makes a good point that homeowners typically have a much smaller budget to put toward the proper sound conditioning than professional studios and that is certainly true for me - unfortunately. The room I'll be using for my music studio is 6'4" long x 12" long x 10"-12" high (the ceiling is cathedral). Better than the 1:1:1 ratio Earl mentions but not ideal I'm sure.

Since I won't be able to do a room within a room or staggered studs, my initial concern is blocking out noise from outside of the room. Two of the walls are outside walls and two are inside walls. The outside walls of course will have insulation but currently no plans for insulation on the inside walls. According to Earl, it sounds like that would at least be better than no insulation. I will likely hang sound panels in the room as well. I made some for my last studio using rockwool insulation and they did help quite a bit. Since then I've read about health issues with rockwool so would like to find pre-made panels that do a good job at a reasonable price point. I considered framing a separate control room to isolate the mic area from the equipment but since I have to consider resale potentially some day I ruled that out. Not sure what else I can do other than this. I'm open to any additional advice and thanks again for the very useful information!

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop