Thread: new X20 review
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
My first short scale guitar was a RainSong Shorty. While I no longer have it, that guitar taught me what I previously did not know; I have a preference for shorter and/or 12 fret guitars and my last to purchases stay true to that preference.

I've mentioned on this forum multiple times that I've been dreaming of a short-scale X20. Not only this, I think that Emerald would actually even benefit from having a stock option for both of their largest guitars that are short scale. I also read on here all the time how much AGF'ers love short scale guitars, wood or CF so I don't believe my preferences are necessarily in the minority.

I would be curious the tonal qualities of a short scale X20, where the bridge was also relocated to the center of the lower bout much like the X7 or any of the 12 fret RainSongs. If such a guitar was A/B'd with an X20 where only the neck was shortened (like in the case of Earl's X20 in this review) would we hear a clear tonal difference?

I suspect the answer would be yes but I don't want to fund the research and development. I just think Emerald should "build it and they will come".
This is from my "NGD Emerald X20 Artisan Short Scale" thread:
Quote:
Am really pleased with my new short scale X20. It’s so comfortable to play, and the tone is great. Due to some of the comments about bridge placement, and how Emerald modifies the design on a short scale custom build, I carefully measured both of my X20s last night.

My new one has a 24.875” scale length, the same as my RainSong (which is also a 12 fret), that makes for a 5/8” difference from the stock 25 1/2” length. The neck on the short scale joins the body just to the left of the 14th fret, and the standard model just to the right, so 1/8” difference there. The other 1/2” is from a shift in the bridge position.

Emerald could certainly offer a standard short scale model, but that would require a uniform distance, like 25”, 24.875", 24.6”, etc. To escape a $550 upcharge, I might have been okay with 25”, but not 24.6”, and from playing my Martin and RainSong, I know what’s the sweet spot for me.
From following Earl’s posts, I was concerned about the tonal problems he’s documented. I bought one of the new design X20s last August, because I didn’t want to wait for a custom build, and also see if I would be okay with the 25 1/2” scale. That guitar has none of the overly bright, harsh tonal qualities Earl chronicles, and neither does the new one. Strung with EJ16 PBs, the sound is similar to my RainSong and stock pinless X20. It’s not even that different in brightness from my Martin 00-18 when the RH is below 50%.

The scale length on Earl’s guitar is 24.6”, another .275” shorter than mine. One thing I’ve noticed, is that with offset sound hole, there isn’t the same visual reference as my with other acoustics for strumming. Also, only 1/8” of the 5/8” difference between my new and stock X20 is at the neck/body joint. The other 1/2” is from a shift in the bridge position. From Steelvibe's post, it sounds like all of the 0.9” difference in Earl’s X20 is where the neck meets the body.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class