View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 05:47 PM

Default NMD: Apogee HypeMic

I’ve been trying to simplify my music streaming and sharing setup. I have a nice interface from Focusrite with two channels that will do 24/196 recording. But it’s a lot to setup in the rec room with the boom stand, etc. every time I want to play some music. I don’t have a dedicated recording studio space.

I have a nice Shure MV88 iPad mic, but the new iPad I got has a different interface. So the sure is basically a useless toy.

I wanted to use a USB mic.

First I tried the Zoom H2N recorder in interface mode but it was mostly a disaster. The drivers would never pick it up right on my Windows 10 laptop and the bit depth and sampling rate were always messed up.

Next, I ordered a Blue Yeti X USB mic assuming that would be the answer. It wasn’t super expensive. It worked pretty well for two weeks and then just stopped working altogether. I boxed it back up for a return.

Then, I spent this weekend using a real Shure small diaphragm condensed into the interface and got a nice sound. But, again it’s a lot to haul around for a quick recording or session with a friend.

I decided to look into something else and reviewed all the USB mics on the market. Most would be just fine. I was shooting for 24/96 recording so it will last a few years.

I saw the Apogee HypeMic and was interested because it has an analog compression circuit before the A/D converter stage.

Wow! This thing sounds as good as the real deal mic with a full interface.

And it comes with a nice case and kit. Frankly, I thought it was expensive when I bought it. Now I think it’s a bargain. Hopefully it lasts a long time.

This is my first Apogee product. It’s made in the USA for those who care. It probably won’t be my last.

Cheers!

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-29-2020 at 06:13 PM.