View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
CA and Rainsong. There have been a couple Rainsongs that sounded ok, actually at least one sounded very good but for the money there were wood guitars that I prefer the sound of.

I'm not saying they sound bad, just that (for the most part) they don't produce a sound that is useful to me. I don't own a bunch of 80s synthesizers for the same reason.

Ed
Ed, sounds like you don't own any CF guitars yet. I don't think the original post is really aimed towards people who haven't taken the plunge. In reality, it's pretty hard to imagine someone deciding they didn't want any wood guitars when they don't even like CF guitars.

In my case, the answer is pretty much yes, at least when it comes to steel string acoustics. While I love the look and sound of wood, I just got tired of worrying about maintenance and care. I had various guitars crack and I had one get its headstock snapped off. With CF, I don't have to worry.

Furthermore, my CA Vintage Performer (vintage voiced dread) and my new CA GX sound as good (to my ear) as most wood guitars I've played (okay, not as good as that D-18GE I fell in love with, but as good as or better than most others).

I have a hard time picturing getting rid of my all rosewood Telecaster, though, and my wood electric basses still get the job done just fine (and don't require any serious care or maintenance). I could see selling my wood classical and replacing it with a CF nylon string guitar, but probably not real soon.