View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
…Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --
Hi TB

I disagree…there are qualifications.

I certainly make it a point to attempt to play any guitar someone hands me and says "I've had this since I was 10 years old, and haven't played it for 30 years" and hands it to me, chances are I'm not going to play my best pieces on it.

If a guitar has decent resonance, sustain, responsiveness, and it has properly set action, then the guitar has done all it can. If it has newer strings, it will favor finger stylers as well.

There are limits as to how far the best musician can take an instrument which is substandard, broken, or improperly strung.

And as musicians we grow more when we upgrade substandard guitars. I maxed out my D-28 (which I played for 17 years), and the day my Olson was delivered I could perform things on it which were impossible to perform on my wonderful Martin D-28.

I've been growing with it for over 26 years.

So I believe YES, IT DOES REALLY MATTER WHAT GUITAR YOU HAVE.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…