View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:06 AM

JRB, it would be great if you could report back at some point and let us know if that technique works in the particular case (especially over the long haul). If you've actually got mold or mildew related odor in the case, it might take more extreme measures to kill the spores so that there's less of a chance of the smell coming back again later.

I think if you bake it in the sun and dry the case out really thoroughly (along with the baking soda), it's going to help tremendously. But one concern in the long run might be that once the case is back in a more climate controlled environment (especially if you might be using a humidifier) that the mold or mildew spores could be reactivated by humidity and the cycle could start all over again.

If the mold or mildew spores are deep within the case's interior material, it might end up being an ongoing or recurring issue. I mean, I'm just partially guessing here...but based on other areas where mold and mildew treatment is discussed. Usually, remedies in instances like this are found by re-wetting the material but with something in the liquid that's used to kill mold or mildew spores, then thoroughly drying the item again. Something like this would also be a very likely candidate for treatment with an ozone generator (but for most folks, that's not really a practical route).