View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Rule #1)
Play BEHIND the lead.
I get this. Honestly. And as a lifelong rhythm player I try to play behind the lead whenever the lead is still sober, especially if there's a monitor system where I can hear the lead.

However, as in the case I posed previously, where there is a combo with three leads (mando, fiddle and lead guitar) and only one rhythm guitar with no bass or percussion, and when the lead is being passed about every 24 measures, chaos will ensue if the various leads don't play ALONG WITH the rhythm.

This really wasn't my question as OP. As the title suggests, I'm interested in theory about what sort of guitars complement each other. Picture an acoustic setting such as an intimate coffee house with a two-guitar duo playing with voice mikes but no guitar mikes or pickups. Assume that they know enough to play different intonations where one is open and the other is playing with a capo, or perhaps one is playing open tuning while the other is in standard. Now, what guitars, or types of guitar, will best complement each other?