View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Looking for Advice on "Old School" 4-Trackers

I'm somewhat new to music recording. A year or so ago I bought a Tascam PortaStudio DP-008EX to play with, and was not happy with the paradigm shift from "knobs" to "Menu Scrolling." I can get decent recordings, but the process is not rewarding to me. I'm a certified analog geezer, and never have embraced the cheap plastic, teeny-tiny world of nested menus, and ludicrously tiny gray type on teensy weenie black plastic buttons.

Since I only do this for my own amusement - as a way to pass the time before "time's up!" - -I enjoy the process of things as much as the outcome. Well, to get on with it, I bought a Fostex X-34 cassette 4-tracker and really enjoyed making tapes! I love the clunky old thing, BUT, it does have some serious performance shortcomings - lacking good bass, lacking decent highs, and I knew when I paid not much for it that it was a cheap-o.

Now, I'd really like to get a HIGH END example of a cassette 4-tracker. Something with semi-pro sort of construction, robustness and great features. Something durable, that will be fun to use.

I've been considering the older Tascams, and now have also discovered the Audio-Technica beast.

I am wondering is anyone is still using these, and has any advice on what units are the "real gems to own"? For example, I know a lot of the Tascam models have a big problem with the plastic buttons busting off. Things like that. I'm not too concerned with the cost of a good unit, but more concerned with quality, robustness, and "vibe".

Thanks for any comments or recs!