View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Importing this from Mike's build thread:

IMG_6921.jpg

Speaking of carbon fiber

The neck has a carbon fiber “D” tube embedded in it. It’s a pricey reinforcement but probably adds the maximum amount of neck stiffness short of solid steel and it is lighter than the wood it replaces.

To stiffen that fingerboard extension which will be floating over the top with nothing under it except that quarter inch of wood you can see notched into the neck I embed more carbon fiber vertical rods. The D tube would be too thin and its engineered “box” structure reduced to weakness if it were extended into the fingerboard extension. SO

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

Two grooves are plowed into the walnut extension and into the meaty portion of the neck to house the carbon fiber rods

You can see the little rods awaiting their new home

The rods are deeper than their slots. After they are epoxied in place the fingerboard will have shallow grooves plowed into the underside to accommodate the raised portion of the carbon fiber. When the fingerboard is glued in place the rods and the wood under the fingerboard extension and the fingerboard will become one unit and the carbon fiber will not be compromised as much by the inevitable tapering that happens to that walnut under the fingerboard when fitting the neck.

So all the CF is being clamped in place with straight edges to keep things straight and the cheeks for the peghead are also getting added.

IMG_6924.jpg

All this is going in my build as well as Mike's, so I stole it from his thread! John did this on my last build, and on Steve's Koa Mitchell too.

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More