View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Hey Knuckle,
I agree that the tone of your guitar is fine. Keeping in mind that you are just tryin' to just put your art out there and having fun, you may want to tweak the audio levels/eq or use a better device. I think maybe the natural acoustics of the room is a main contributer to the "tunnel" reverb effect. As you know in my little YouTube show I simply use a Sony Vaio laptop. I have a nice condenser mic and Protools I could have used, however I chose the former for this project because I wanted to do an off the cuff, raw, live kinda thing. I live in an old home with real old wooden floors (1945) and the natural acoustics in my livingroom are lovely & lend favorably to the pure natural sound/tone of my guitars. Thats what I wanted to capture, not that a better device could still do that, but I was trying to keep it simple. Now the laptop has a decent mike and I definitly had to tweak the levels/eq as much as the program allows and I still may be able to improve it, however I did have friends preview it to double check audio as to not be too hot/overdriven or to soft where you have to crank the audio to max and still can't hear it very well. I left it so the listener has room to go up or down in volume.
It does ones music an injustice if the levels are too extreme, the device is of poor quality, or the natural acoustics of the environment are conducive to undesirable colorings to your instrument.
Knuckle you are an artist with a wonderful gift both lyrically and musically. An honest friend will graciously advise you in helping you to tweak your recordings to where you want them. This fellow on the other forum was not.
So you may 1.)try recording in a different room, 2.)tweak the audio device you are using and if the environmental acoustics of the other room improve the audio but still isn't satisfactory, invest in a better suited audio device.
Don't be discouraged friend, I've listened to your tunes, and your a gifted songwriter and many here obviously support you and are ready to help.
noledog
PS. Stamper Mike has a wonderful recording sound in his studio, it is very natural and pure IMHO
he may be one you may consult...

Last edited by noledog; 03-30-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added note