View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

At one time, I had a wood McPherson 3.5 XP. The "XP" meant that the sound hole was a bit larger than what they consider standard. The guitar had quilted maple back and sides, and a spruce top. It was very good for playing jazz styling. It also worked well for open tunings because it didn't get muddy as you tuned the strings down. It amplified very well, and I was playing out a fair amount at the time.

The only problem I had with it was that it was too large for me to comfortably play. Sometime later, McPherson introduced there Camrielle series, whcih has a smaller body. I never got one of those, but did sell my original McPherson.

Later, McPherson introduced the Michael Kelly carbon fiber guitars. I never took to those, but when McPherson introduced their own, after working with Ellis Seal, who developed the CA Guitars such as the Cargo, and put their own name on these, I bought first the Touring and then later the Sable.

The Sable is the same size as the Camrielle and is therefore more comfortable for me to play.

The things about McPherson wood instruments are the sustain and the impeccable build quality. McPherson seems to attend to the smallest of details that many others seem to fudge a bit. The same care for quality seems to go into their carbon fiber guitars.

To me, McPherson is a very good guitar. Whether it is worth the money is, as with any guitar, a decision the buyer must make.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...