View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Default Yamaha FG-75 Red Label (made in Japan) Neck Reset + Set-up

Just trying to gauge some costs here, and figured I could source some different information from the experts here, if you guys wouldn't mind.

I have my grandfather's old Yamaha FG-75. I've had it since he passed away in '97. It was the guitar he'd play at church, but really hasn't been played much since '97. I maybe played it once or twice, and around 2005-ish I removed the strings and it has just been sitting in the case since.

I've decided to get it into playing condition again, as I like the guitar, it's old look, and I don't think he'd want it just sitting around. He'd probably also prefer I didn't pay an arm and a leg to get the guitar into playing condition.

I strung it up with some old strings a couple of weeks back and it's definitely way high on the action. The saddle has been brought down all the way to the bridge, and it appears he had shimmed under the nut to bring it back up a bit, but not enough for when the shim is removed to bring the acting back down significantly. So I'm guessing he had already shaved the nut down, then added the shim because he had taken too much off for what the action was at that time.

I've read they may or may not be a nightmare when re-setting the neck.

So basically, it'd need a neck re-set, new nut and saddle, re-fret and full set-up.

About how much would that normally cost? I've gotten a few quotes from guys down here in Texas (Austin and Houston area guys who I've seen recommended), and would like to compare, and know if I need to keep looking around or just bite the bullet.

I wouldn't do this with any other guitar of that worth, but it's a sentimental thing, obviously.

thank you!