View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Someone on this thread, another professional musician, said that he dislikes when someone comes up to him during a break to talk about gear. He went as far as to say... "Don't be that guy." My goodness. That, along with the musician that treated you so rudely, is simply uncalled for.

My attitude is that from the second my foot touches the inside of that venue, until I get back into my car, I am there for my audience. As long as they're sincere and friendly, it's my obligation as a professional musician and entertainer to return the courtesy, no matter how tired or out of sorts I may be. They've paid money to see me, driven out in the night, and simply want to have a few words. If it weren't for the audience, I would be stacking shelves at Walmart. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but that is simply not what I'm here for. Besides, it's folks like that, that lift my spirits up when the road gets a bit tiring.

There's simply no excuse for being rude to anyone, let alone someone who is genuinely friendly. And it's even worse when a professional musician treats their audience with anything other than courteousness, respect, and kindness.

Owning one or fifty guitars does not make the player. Come to think of it, neither does the playing. It's what's inside the player that counts, and everything else will reflect just that.
Once again Toby is voice of reason. Well said.