View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

You have to keep in mind the context when you read about various engineer's methods. If you're mixing an acoustic with a lot of other instruments, mono makes perfect sense. Not sure I get the "pointless" aspect of the instrument, but I can get that it's simply not useful, and maybe even in the way, in typical rock/pop multi-track mix where the engineer wants to create their own artificial soundstage. For the type of music I record - solo fingerstyle guitar, it's extremely "pointfull" :-) It makes a huge difference, which is why virtually any solo guitar recording you hear will be in stereo. But I totally agree with your main point - there's very few rights or wrongs, music's an art, so if it sounds good to you, how you got there, or even what it sounds like makes no difference.

That's one reason I wish more people would post sound files in these types of discussions. It's helpful to say "Doing X sounds like this. Doing Y sounds like this". Saying "X sounds good" is almost meaningless because everyone's taste, style, goals, etc, is different.