View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Thanks so much Doug for the nice pictures...Very Helpful. I really appreciate it!
So I see you are using LDC in both cases.
Again...I am a total amateur...can barely operate Logic...as only had a couple of weeks on it.
So mostly out of curiosity for the future, as my budget will be on a hold for now....But what are the two sets of Mics you are using?
And did you choose LDC over SDC...as you like the more body sound from LDC's?
It seems to always be a tiny bit of always a compromise...SDC offer something and LDC's offer another.
It is a whole new world of Microphones now. In the old days..it seemed like mics frequency graphs were designed more on the flatter side. Now I see most mics with frequency boost in the higher end.
Oh..and what is that funny looking black thing in the middle?...you got me on that one.
I have both LDCs and SDCs, I don't really notice a difference as a class. Some mics sound different, but at least for solo guitar, I don't hear something I can attribute to LDCs vs SDCs. Maybe I don't know what to listen for, but I tend to just say "that mic sounds good, so I'll use that" :-) I have some SDCs, Schoeps CMC6 with various capsules and a pair of KM184s. The black mics are AT2020's, roughly $100 each. The silver ones are Brauner VM1s, tube mics that cost , uh :-) more. I use whatever strikes my fancy when I decide to record something. I used the Schoeps in MS for my most recent recording project. I normally have the Brauners set up in my studio, and the Schoeps set up in a spare bedroom for You Tube videos (mostly because they're smaller and don't get in the way of the video). I use the KM184s for live micing, usually, tho I have used them for recording. Any of these mics work just fine for me.

The big black thing is an AEA R88, stereo ribbon mic, which I usually use in MS, and mix in with the Brauners or Schoeps to taste. It's a very different sounding mic, and adds its own flavor to a recording. It's a bit dark on its own, so I prefer it blended in with something brighter.