View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Absolutely love this discussion going on. As I have spent the last two hours fooling with mic placement...and two hours yesterday.. A complete novice in this area...combined with experimenting(probably foolishly) with close mic techniques. Well, it can kind of beat you up.
Thanks to Doug with his articles on phasing and to DesolationAngel for his great input as well...I am starting to learn.
So let me see if I have this right. the Phazer ( I assume this is the product you are talking about.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...=c&matchtype=b
You can place the mics where ever you want...and even if you have phasing...from this mic placement..you can correct the phasing problem with this device? IF so, then it would seem like this device would really be a great tool as you could now put the mic for where you think is the best tone...instead of putting the mic where you won't get phasing? Is this correct?
No, you cannot totally correct (i.e., remove) phase differences from a recording with this devise. You can adjust relative phase with it. For example, say your two mic recording has serious phase cancellation at 120 Hz and phase enhancement at 300 Hz. By using the device, you can mitigate both of these, but you will likely create new phase cancellation at a different frequency (say 160 Hz) and will likely create new phase enhancement at a different frequency (say 274 Hz). That may sound worse, may sound better or may not sound better or worse just different. With this example, it will sound better (i.e., more accurate) if the song you are playing has notes at 120 Hz and 300 Hz but does not have notes at 160 Hz and 274 Hz) and vice versa it will sound worse (or so the theory goes).