View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
Hi Alexrkstr--

Even though they say headphones are bad for mixing I have to disagree. Headphones are just like any other monitor system: you get to know them. Sure, they offer stereo separation that is not real, but you know that! Headphones, like many other speaker systems, compensate for their lack of frequency response by boosting in that range. That's all good to know!

So you gotta burn a disc and then listen back on several different systems, car stereo, boom box, home stereo and strive for balanced mix that sounds good across all of them.

Have fun with it!

Steve
I'll second this excellent advice. It doesn't do you much good to get a mix that works well in your monitoring environment, but may not sound good in the environments in which people will be listening to your music. I think a great low budget option is to use a pair of decent headphones (preferably without too much bass boost) to do your original mix, then burn a cd and listen to the mix in as many "real world" environments as you can find (car, personal stereo, other headphones, computer speakers, etc.). It doesn't take long to get a general understanding of how your monitoring environment translates to the real world environments.