View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 AM

Hi Alex,

thank you for your PM, and sorry for my being late with this post. I'm very busy in the studio and making music roght now...

I apologize for not having the time to read all the replies, so maybe this is totally redundant.

Furthermore, I can't really help you with your question, because I must admid that I haven't worked with any of the speakers you mention.
So take the following with a big spoon of salt.

Many years ago I owned and tried to work with a pair of KRK monitors, probably the model 6000, but I was not able to mix on them. The reproduction in the lower mids was just totally wrong - blown up and totally smeared.
I've since optimized the studio of a customer who has some new KRKs (maybe those are on your list), and experienced the same thing - they are totally unaccurate in the lower mids and the bass. You just don't know what you're doing when working on them.

I've heard good things about the JBL LSRs, and actually used to work on JBLs in my first studio. They seem to be quite honest. But again, I've not worked on the LSRs.

Another thing I have to mention is that I am not at all a fan of Genelecs, Yamaha NS-10s, etc. I kind of am able to work on Adams, if I have to, but apart from that I shy away from the monitors that "studio guys" usually have. I am more of a mastering type, and prefer most HiFi loudspeakers over the standard studio monitors. I would definitely try HiFi monitors as well.
(I actually have some Royd Sapphire II for sale, but that's hijacking this thread... They are very flat, but you need a subwoofer if you use them as your main speakers for mixing etc.)

DAS have been said to be very flat, and reasonably priced.

If you're lucky you might find some ATC SCM 20 second hand. I am highly impressed by their SCM 50 and 100 (which is above your limit, though).

I would highly recommend to spend as much money and evaluation time as you can on your monitoring system. It is more important than any gear, really. If you don't hear things accurately you just don't know what you're doing.

Apart from all that, room acoustics are very important. Which has probably been said many times in this thread. Also, the correct placement of the speakers can make a huge difference. I would recommend to ask someone who is experienced to find the best placement for the speakers in your room.

I hope there's something in this post that is of help for you.

Enjoy your music!
Rumi
www.pilgrimstudio.ch

Last edited by rumi11; 10-02-2009 at 03:01 PM.