View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Wow, a very timely and useful thread for me. I've been experimenting with recording, with mixed results. My classical guitar records quite well, but my Martin 000-15 has been seeming overly bright and a little thin and too percussive, and I had been wondering whether it was basically just not the best guitar for recording my sorts of music. I need to try out some of the ideas presented in this thread to alter the sound I'm getting (among other things, I think I've had the mic too close, and too far from the soundhole) - I suspect that this will allow me to get better recordings of this lovely-sounding guitar.

So, why are small condensor mics (rather than large condensor mics) generally recommended for acoustic guitar recording?

I've been using a Rode NT1-A (large condensor) but they had a deal going for a second mic for $1, so an M3 (small condensor) mic is on the way. It will be interesting to see how the results differ.

I also need to work on room acoustics, though I've also been thinking of maybe trying to do a little recording in an empty church or in the big auditorium in the music building at a local college (I definitely have the go ahead for the latter, but it is SO MUCH more cumbersome and time consuming to do this than to go down into the basement in the evening).

By the way, Doug.....

I've recently discovered your stuff on YouTube, and on your web site. I LOVE your arrangements. Simply lovely. Very melodic, yet with lots of interesting things going on - I'm feeling humbled by how much simpler my arrangements tend to be (actually, I think they might not be that much simpler but just different - anything new and novel always initially seems better than what one comes up with one's self I guess). I recently learned your Shenandoa arrangement, and just started Bring a Torch. This has been so much fun!

(sorry for sidetracking this thread)

Last edited by wcap; 09-23-2009 at 10:03 AM.