View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 AM

The lesson learned (for me) is to have the guitar checked out by a luthier first, before purchasing it. If the pawn shop disagrees with that, they probably know something is wrong with it. If they don't agree to a pre-purchase independent inspection, walk away.

In your case, that's water under the bridge unfortunately. But as others have said, if you like the guitar just play it and don't worry about it. However, if you want to verify (2nd opinion) the truss rod is actually 'broken' I don't think a shop would charge that much just to check the truss rod. Just make it clear you don't want a full setup, just a truss rod check. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

One thing that occurred to me reading this thread: Others have said that the neck on that guitar is extremely rigid. Maybe the luthier didn't know about this. IOW - he may have turned the rod and expected a certain change in the neck bow and when he didn't get it - assumed a broken rod. Instead, maybe he didn't get his expected bow because the neck is more rigid than he thought, and outside of his level of experience with other guitars.