View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Beginner looking at a Martin MMV

I started learning to play acoustic guitar on my son's Fender Squire. He isn't always around so I'd like to get my own guitar. I found a Martin MMV for sale and want to know if this is a good deal and would it be good for a beginner like me.

Here is some of the description:
A couple very small nicks in the top that don't break the finish and a small curved ding next to the pick guard. Nice low action and easy to play with plenty of saddle to spare. The saddle is still at factory height. Solid spruce top with nice silking and solid rosewood back and sides. Matching of the wood on the sides and back is well done. No cracks and no finish checking in its full gloss (top, sides and back) nitro finish.

This one has a genuine ebony fingerboard and bridge, unlike more recent production versions which use a man-made material called "Richlite." Ebony is a nice touch in a guitar in this price range.

Serial number per the Martin website makes it a late 2007 production.

Has a K&K pickup installed which works very well. (You can use it with the Crate acoustic amp I'm selling for $80...) It sounds great, with plenty of low end. Comes with original Martin hard shell case.

I upgraded the tuners to classic nickel-finish, full sized 18:1 Grover Rotomatics. The holes lined up and they are a perfect fit. In theory these tuners are supposed to tarnish over time and look more classy and elegant and vintage as compared to the chrome ones, though there is no sign yet of that happening. They still look bright and shiny, as you can see. I also upgraded the bridge pins with matching Stew-Mac tortoise ones that match the pick guard.

That is most of the description. The guitar is listed for $950

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by jacknicholson; 01-17-2020 at 12:53 PM.