View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
So the big question is--do you like your tone?

If you do, then just push the comments aside as being from the internet blowhard that he is...dollars to doughnuts he'd never tell you that in person.

But...

At least in my experience, the criticisms that have bugged me the most are ones where I know there's some truth in them...I personally do think there's too much reverb going on--but that's my personal preference--and I never thought you were posting finished products--I always took your videos as "hey, here's something I'm trying, give me some feedback"

See, if I could record you, we'd rent an old church...three microphones--one for your voice, one for your guitar, and one a few feet away to pick up some ambient room sound. No reverb added, only the natural sound of the room...

But that's ME. I'm not doing your recording...make sure YOU'RE happy with YOUR tone and don't take any comment some fool makes on the internet without a grain of salt.
Well that's where I'm at. I don't know if I'm using too much reverb? I have no idea what I'm doing really. I use my ears and the live sound I have sounds good. The ipod kills it. It's not designed as a recording device. Also all of the audio / video cameras out there are not designed for quality audio either. Even the ones designed for guitarists are far from studio quality. So a few posts ago, he's right, I'm trying to capture a raw feel and at the same time get some feedback on songs.

I'm getting longer and longer sets and I have about 1.5 hours of music tops. I'm working towards 3 hours of material. When it's solid, I'll hit the studio. This guy doesn't really get to me. I just question as to whether he's right as far as not releasing anything unless it's of superb quality. I'm also not opposed to learning recording down the road. But I work, have 2 kids, one that does not live with me and have only a small amount of time to practice, write, record. Down the road, yes, but right now I'll hire someone else to record me if it gets to the point where my stuff is super solid. If I went in the studio now, I'd be wasting my money.