View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 07:54 AM

Default 1/2 size Yamaha CGS102a as a practice/travel guitar OR SUGGESTIONS?

Hey folks,

I just bought 1/2 sized Yamaha CGS102a and thought to check the opinions of those who have already walked the similar path I am exploring.

I play fingerstyle, no pick, and found nylon much easier on my fingers and love the tone. So I bought and played Cordoba Fusion12 Orchestra and played for a few months. Absolutely in love with volume and tone!

However, I developed knots on my right shoulder extending all the way up the right side of my neck. This never happens with my Emerald X7 or Journey OF660. Well I did some research and checked out Yammy Guitarele at the local GC. It was basically a Uke with sawed-off guitar neck with Uke-like sound.

They also had Yamaha CGS102a and Cordoba mini 2 which had truss rod, a pickup and horribly sharp fret ends. They both sounded much better and so cute looking. Yammy was much cheaper at $97 with 20% off Coupon. I also got their 3 year accident coverage warranty since I plan on taking it everywhere. I told the guy I always buy from that this was an impulse buy with no research and may reverse the transaction. He was totally ok with it.

So, while I want Emerald X7nylon, I can buy 30 CGS102a instead and never run out of it in my life... well until Emerald comes out with next generation soundboard for nylon that blows everyone out of water! I am open to better alternatives you might have and looking forward to getting enlightened as always.