View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Just wondering please, when it comes to shaping the ends of the braces into that fine curve or taking off edges to shape along the braces, does anyone ever use a dremel tool with say a pineapple type bit, like an oval shaped bit, that could be used to curve those braces vs. the chisel. Or is the chisel used to remove larger amounts and a dremel used for final finishing?
Great question Tom. There is a very famous, world renowned luthier, who does something similar to what you have described above. His method is a little more complex and controlled. He uses an over-arm parallelogram fixture, with a trim router mounted to the end of the parallel arms. The fixture allows the router to remain perfectly vertical and perpendicular to the work piece, regardless of where the router is moved or elevated to. He mounts a carbide cutter, which closely resembles the shape of an inverted Christmas tree, in the router. The top or back are fixtured on a table below the router. After the braces are glued to each plate, then its a matter of "tracing" around the edges of each brace, allowing the inverted Christmas Tree shaped cutter to remove excess material from vertical edge of each brace. It works very well having seen it used in person.

I've often thought about building a similar tool but I never got around to it. Instead I have come up with my own method of profiling the edges of the braces before they are glued to the top or back plates, using a special 3" diameter shaper bit. If you view my braces from the end they look like the silhouette of the Eiffel Tower. This profile shape allows the braces to be exceptionally light and stiff as [required], which is determined by how much wood I remove from the top edge of each brace during my voicing process.

I always shape the ends of each brace using a wood chisel after the braces are glued down. It could be done ahead of time though I consider it part of my voicing process and prefer to do it post gluing. After I scoop the ends, I sand them smooth with a 2" diameter air powered roll sander.

Lots of different ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Again, great question Tom and thanks for asking.