View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Tim,

With a sample size of one, I'm hesitant to read too much into the results, but for my tonal target, I'm very happy. I thinned the top about .005 under my norm and thinned the x slightly also. It's super responsive and responds equally well to finger style or pick, though I'm generally playing it with a pick. I am going to put a set of nickel bronze strings on it and see how it sounds. I have a set on my Greven and really like them.

There are a lot of tonal influences on this guitar ... Bar frets, Ebony neck reinforcement, Spanish Cedar neck to name a few, but as we all know the majic is in the top and I'm very encouraged by what I hear with this material. Hopefully others will agree.

I very interested to hear your comments.
Thanks for your response Jimmy. I hear a dryness, noticeably warmer and more vintage voice in the few Torrefied Red Spruce tops that I've built with. New Red Spruce has a very strong treble bias, almost glass like edge to them but the torrefied tops smooth that edge out considerably very reminiscent of the pre-war era guitars I've heard and played. They seem to have more power too. So far I really like what I've heard, so much so that I've sent about 1/4 of my top inventory away to have them torrefied along with many back and side sets as well

I've built a lot of guitars with aged, vintage and reclaimed old growth woods and if you have you know there is something quite unique and special about older woods. Torrefaction isn't the magic bullet to put 100 years on a piece of new wood but its the closest thing I've found (in new wood) to compare to old wood.