View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
This isn't directed at you, when is the last time you heard anyone tell someone else anything other than, "Sounds great, man!" I say it too. Even when somebody sounds reckless. I try to be polite regardless.

Do you get other cats in town coming up to you asking about everything in your signal chain and start buying the same stuff that you're using? That would really tell you something.
My thought is frequently nothing is said, but we have peers who shoot it to us straight and some who only comment when it's good.

My observation is some musicians want better sound but don't really want to commit or make changes to achieve it. I think there's a OCD quality, minus maybe the Dysfunction, to musicians that chase sound and tone. Many musicians bail when you mention $300 preamp; that's just scratching the surface and without vocal equipment. I see a lot musicians just plug right into a DI or the amp and are quite happy.

Here on the forum we ask questions; debate argue merits and limits because we're seeking, not complacent.

For posterity, in reference to the Op and some of the responses:

I think this type product, like other arrays, fills a gap between a guitar/keyboard amp and full PAs.

I play instrumental guitar solo, in a duo, and in a band. We used my partner's SA220 for years and have had great success with achieving great sound in a various venues. We've occasionally added a sub and or a extension depending what we desired, but those were rare and very large venues.

My experience as a instrumentalist is the SoloAmp provides great sound and covers the tonal spectrum of acoustic guitar very well. It's dispersion fills rooms very nicely.

Where it will show it's limits will be larger noisy rooms. IMHO It's not designed for that and a full PA is going to be optimum, which let's face it sounds great and is the better overall choice it you have the desire to haul equipment when the venue doesn't have a quality PA.

FWIW how I got to the SA330:
I started performing with a Schertler David, and after needing more power, used a DBR 10 as my solo rig. I also used the DBR as the extension when we need one in the bands. The DBR worked very well and has great tone. That said, it is no comparison considering transporting. Even though I made a small cart to fit the bag I bought for it, still no comparison. In addition the DBR was limited without a mixer, so there's one more thing to carry to optimize it.

Last edited by Turp; 12-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.