View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

For the purposes of this discussion I am primarily talking about multi drum loops like found in EZ Drummer's browser library. These include all of the drum parts set to varying patterns. I am getting better at adding fills, etc., but I'm just trying to figure out if these types of drums really contribute significantly to an easy arrangement of singer and guitar, or if it's just not a positive addition in general for folk music?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
BoneDigger not sure what exactly what you mean by "preset drums"

Do you mean pre recorded multi drum loops (of analog drums) that come as complete preset "audio file" that has all the different drum parts (kick, snare, toms , cymbals , etc. already recorded ?

Or do you mean pre recorded single individual drum hit instrument sounds (or "Samples") of different analog drums, i.e. kick, snare, toms, cymbals, etc. ) that you play in as single hits with a midi keyboard , or program in manually as midi notes to trigger single note presets of individual analog drums, with individual instruments being selectable ?

There is a fairly significant difference and feel to those two completely different "presets"

And Silly the term "Electronic drums" ( which is generalized term) in this context is far too ambiguous for this thread, not to mention the type of electronic drum sounds used in Dance or Trance music, is usually very different than what this thread is about . For one thing those drum sounds are intentionally "locked to the grid" and what BoneDigger is asking about has the option of intentionally not being locked to a grid. There is a big difference.

So that being said:

For me it is not a "which one" situation, I do and like both . It totally depends on the specific song and the feel I am going for. The real beauty of digital recording is you are not locked into either you record the Guitar and vocal and you can record some drums was well and simply mute them if you like the guitar and vocal better . It is a total win win