View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 AM

For home recording, I do think quality drum loops can be a huge benefit. They've come a long way. Most good loops today area actual recordings of pros playing. So it's real. For home recording, you'd be hard pressed to get a recording of a real drummer in your basement that a) played as well as the pro and b) got you the sonic quality of the pro's recording. You just have to then have a good ear and technical skill to put it all together so it fits the song and has enough variety to it so it doesn't too repetitive.

I've played in live projects where drum loops were used. There are plusses and minuses, but I would rather have no drums than play with drum tracks live. It kills spontaneity…

But real live percussion adds a lot in my opinion. Depends on what kind of music you're playing I suppose. I do a lot of pop/rock, so it adds. I play with a singer who plays various percussion shakers, tambo, etc. Big plus. We also sometimes add a buddy on cajon. His set up include a little splash and a kick trigger. Sounds great to me and adds a lot.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page