View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 09:48 AM

To echo the refrain!

An arch-top, f-hole, a-model mandolin seems the most versatile of the bunch. Suited for all sorts of music, style, etc. As in guitars, solid top makes a difference. Also, carved top makes a difference.

In mandolin advertising (as in guitars), maple back and sides means laminated. It actually has to say, "Solid!" Arched top means, the top was made as plywood and then steamed to an arch-looking shape. This also matters.

Not all cheap mandolins even have tone bars! I think the Gretch is such a beast. Typically, whether needed for structural support of strings or not, mandolin tops have tone bars. Leaving them out may be a disadvantage.

Now that that preamble is out of the way, I'll chime in on Kentucky (I'd look at the KM-250 and above) and Eastman.

The Big Muddy mandolins are likely great too! I have a flat-top mandolin that I'll never part with! Just a great instrument. Not quite as versatile as an arch-top, solid-wood, carved-top mandolin with f-holes; however.

f-d