View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 02:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT77 View Post
The EF-500RCCE is kind a strange one to pick for comparison. There really isn't an analogous Gibson. The other current masterbilts have closer counterparts.

I agree with GuitarLight, who mentioned above that you really need to find a "good one" when it comes to Gibson brands. Although my sample comes mostly from Guitar Center, I've played quite a number at this point and have to say that both Gibson and Epiphone acoustics vary MUCH more from guitar to guitar (of the same model) than Martins, which in turn vary more than Taylors. Taylor really has consistency down (it's almost uncanny) while Gibson has easily the highest Lemon rate. That said, a "good" Gibson easily keeps pace with the best Martins and Taylors. Thing is, so does a "good" Masterbilt - you know this if you have one
Very good point, CT. I would just like to add Yamaha into this discussion. Yes, I realize they're in a different part of the market, but their consistency of fit and finish and QC is as good, or better, than Taylor, and no one makes a better line of acoustics below $500 new. And their full dreads made in Japan rival the brands mentioned here.

And they do this also with pianos, keyboards, soundboards and mixers, and frankly, anything that bears their logo. An extraordinary company, by any yardstick.

Scott