View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3307doug
Engleman vs. Sitka - what's the difference, is there a difference? What do these two woods bring to the table besides one is more expensive than the other?....thanks!
Hi Doug...
I don't see it as a contest, or an arbitrary decision. I also noted you left out European Spruces - German/Italian/Swiss/European and Carpathian.

Depending on the use for, and desired tone of, a guitar different woods (especially in the hands of skilled luthiers) produce distinct tone. It may be debated by some whether there is a difference between spruce and/or spruce. If the Kronbauer (Koa/Sitka) and Bashkin (Myrtlewood/Italian Spruce) hanging in my living room are indicitave then yes there is a difference.

More to the point, I've played quite a group Bashkin OMs topped with Sitka, Italian Spruce, and Adirondack and each is recognizable in Michael Bashkin's capable hands. Each is unique from the others, and distinguishable from each other by species.

So my answer to your question is ''it depends on what the guitar is being employed for.'' And since I don't see it as a choice one has to make outside the framework of the usage, I cannot select a box at the top.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-21-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: more & better info