View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 06:56 AM

Looking great Brian! Congratulations on the good work... I was recently chatting with a local classical builder, who explained the different types of arching or doming the top. I hadn't understood the differences and still don't fully, but I became fascinated, as the method he now uses (no. 2 below) is very successful tonally in terms of achieving a good balance across the board, and a lovely musical timbre that makes the guitar delightful to play. I was curious as to what you might be using?

1) Flat top pulled down at edge all around the lower bout. This arching is a combination of flat top in the upper bout and the parabolic curve in the lower bout centre line. The perimeter is flat around the upper bout but falls from the waist to the line of the bridge and continues lowered, around to the end block.
2) Flat top pulled down at edge in line with the bridge. Again this arching has a flat upper bout and this time a flat centre line, combined with a single curve in the lower bout. The perimeter will be flat in the upper bout falling from the waist to the bridge line, then rising again up to the end block that is level with the upper bout.