View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
Just an observation, as it happened again. I have a couple of pieces that while I have been playing for a good while (months), still have a stumbling point here or there. Not always, but I can't say I could fully play for more than 50% of the time without hitting one of those points.

Had to take a longer trip - 3 weeks - away from playing at all. First time picking up the guitar again, and I nailed all of them. And it continues to be so.

I've had this happen over shorter periods (not practicing a difficult to get section for a few days), and also for complete pieces after taking a longer break.

So if you find you just can't seem to "get" it, no matter how much you practice it, try giving it a rest and coming back to it later. You might surprise yourself too!

I’ve experienced this myself as well, although not to the complete degree of success you seemed to have experienced. I need to remember this phenomenon and try that more often. But in many cases, I keep practicing the same stuff over and over again, thinking today it will be better. I think there is something about letting the stuff you practiced simmer in your brain a bit and letting it come out again later.

There is a particular piece that I’ve been working on for about 2 weeks and I was just thinking I should take a break from it, when I read your post.