View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Lacquers are not all that sensitive to the surface chemistry when it comes to curing. Solvent evaporation can be speeded up by placing the guitar in front of a fan. Varnishes are a different story. The main issues I have with lacquer are adhesion and color bleeding.
Modern lacquers can he quite soft, due to the plasticizers added to minimize cold checking.

This is what one of the local stores did recommend on Iodine usage, so that is why I started learning more on stains and lacquers compatibility.
Just re-checked the finish today, and it seems a bit stronger but anyway still soft and deforming/ruining easily .....
Many people comment on the spray-cans and of their lower characteristics, but I can not afford investing into professional gear and 2K lacquers. However, some luthiers do recommend 4-6 weeks polymerization time even with high-quality 2K lacquers, they note this is a minimum standard time to achieve a decent result with finish.
I have got purchased Yacht lacquer, the strongest in the model/type lines, hope this works as expected.
I assume, that todays lacquers in spray-cans are long-term polymerization, but this MUST BE be indicated on packaging/cans instead of 2 hours of full curing time as it is given on my acrylic can...... this would help to avoid such a trouble which I am facing now..... :-)

Last edited by Schertler; 06-09-2022 at 03:13 PM.