View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default 12th Fret Inlay and Heel Cap

A bunch of pics just came in. There are multiple posts below.

Continuing with the inlay theme, here are a few pics of the 12th fret marker being inlaid. Also a few pics of the endcap being glued up.

One of the design details on all of my custom Tahoe guitars thus far has been a plain fretboard with only a 12th fret marker. When Larry and I came up with the (IMO) simple-yet-elegant design for this 12th fret marker back in 2011, we were calling it a "willow leaf". But it has become fondly known as the "propeller".

Once laid out, the inlay process is identical to the logo inlay shown above.

As Larry was doing the logo inlay, he asked me "So...what about a heelcap?". The obvious choices are to match either the binding or the back. Since curly mahogany to match the binding is in short supply, Larry called down to the Tahoe Guitar Co. Wood Scrap Department and requisitioned some MadRose scraps. Look what showed up...a book matched offcut from the back. Brilliant! Pretty nice match, no?

A little glue, wax paper (to protect the sides from glue squeeze out), and some clamping action.

After trimming it to profile

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

Last edited by OddManOut; 03-16-2015 at 07:51 AM.