View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
Not that I'm any good...and I'm not being humble, I'm being objective, but my learning to sing while strumming has had a huge positive impact on my overall "musicality".

I don't find it difficult...but I don't think I could sing while fingerpicking, or anything more complicated than basic strumming. I would need to be really focused on where my fingers were going to do that, for every note versus every bar or so.
This is basically me also. First off, I'm a terrible singer and merely OK guitarist. I'm learning fingerpicking right now and I can't even imagine myself singing and fingerpicking at the same time. But strumming (with a little bit of fill-in picking / arpeggiating) and singing comes pretty naturally. I don't remember if it always did - I'm sure it didn't, but from the time I had the basic cowboy chords down, I remember being able to sing and play fairly simple stuff without much trouble. And I guess I just picked up more complex stuff as I went.

But if I have any strength as an acoustic guitarist, it's probably being able to just feel my way to strum my way through a song pretty naturally, and that helps me be able to sing with it. I'll never sing well, but I'll never stop doing it because I enjoy it immensely. And to whatever level I can sing on a given day, I think I do it a bit better when I'm playing.

-Ray