View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I think the advice immediately above is very good, but take it a bit further. If you think you only need two mic pre inputs now, you might want to consider a minimum of four, because, as you progress, you will probably find yourself needing more rather than few inputs.

Secondly, I would consider something that uses Thunderbolt 3/4 as its connection protocol. The speed of Thunderbolt will, with properly designed hardware, go a long way to drastically reducing or effectively eliminating latency, which, when there's too much of it, can make it difficult or impossible to play along with yourself, or any pre-recorded track.

Finally, determine if you're likely to get further into more high or higher end recording and if so, does something with a more comprehensive system behind it make sense. That's what pushed me toward Universal Audio's Apollo series, which, even though more expensive than some of the others, ended up being a better value for me than anything else.

And it goes without saying, so I'lll say it anyway - you absolutely need a good, reliable monitoring system or a really great set of headphones to be able to hear what you've spent so much time recording. Not unlike needing to have a good calibrated monitor for editing your photos in Photoshop or Lightroom.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386