View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I just listened with headphones and will offer my honest thoughts as requested. The UltraTonic sounds too "middy" to my ears and the attack is kind of hard and plastic-ey. maybe some call that quacky, but It sounds like a Piezo to me. It may very well work great and cut through a band mix? (Reminds me of the K&K) After using K&K personally for a long time in my best acoustic, I gave up on the K&K and concluded I am not a fan of the K&K. I sold it including the Pure XLR preamp and I am done with K&K's and the Ultratonic demo simply doesn't entice me to try it.

This is my honest opinion for what "I like" and is not meant as condescending in any way. I respect and admire your talent, skill and devotion to optimizing your amplified sound and I am incredibly grateful for the post. It is very helpful.

The Ultratonic may very well check the boxes for what you want and prefer as well as many others.

I don't hear any 'air' or as much nuance in this Ultratonic demo. The frequency range is balanced. Maybe what I take issue with? I do tend to EQ a mid scoop on my acoustic amp at home to 'some degree'. But that lets me hear perhaps a little more treble detail and transition from low to high.

Your thoughts are welcome and your effort is always applauded, most welcome and helpful. Thank you for keeping an open mind. (I will do that as well)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com