View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting your experience with the Ultratonic. I will put together my recent experience with it in a Guild F212-XL. For now, suffice it to say that I initially thought that I was recording the guitar incorrectly, and that the recording was being colored by one or more of the high-quality condenser microphones I had connected. Despite setting those on mute, the recorded sound from the Ultratonic seemed too good to be true. Finally, I disconnected all the microphone cables, only to find that the pickup alone was truly sounding that good.

James May did the installation of the pickup, using two additional small transducers (he found the string spacing of the 12-string too wide to use just a single long pickup). My first experience with a passive system (I hate having to replace batteries!), and I'll never go back.

I have a high-end pickup/microphone dual system (with battery) in a 50-year-old Martin D-28 that I plan to have replaced with an Ultratonic.

I'll put these through a Tonedexter, knowing that I have an outstanding signal to start off with.