View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 10:43 AM

A few months ago, my wife and I went to an America concert in Reno. We're long time America fans and couldn't believe our luck in getting tickets. In anticipation of the show, we listened to our America records over and over again.

When the show finally started, the first thing I notice was the quack of the acoustic guitar. It wans't bad, but it was there. After about 2 songs, I simply didn't hear it any more. My emotional response to the group's wonderful music and the memories the songs dredged up were more than enough to overcome whatever quack was still remaining.

In a similar way, I've noticed that sometimes I don't like the sound of one of my guitars if I haven't been playing it for a long time. My ears have become used to the sound of, say, my Martins so when I first pull out my Gibson J15, it sounds harsh. However, after playing my Gibson for a few hours this perceived "harshness" has disappeared.

Of course, when I then start to play a Martin, it sounds so different that I really don't like its tone. Then, after a couple hours, whatever sound or tone I didn't like has disappeared.

I'm not saying the quack has disappeared, I'm only saying that I just don't notice it any longer.

Human hearing is such a strange and complex thing. What sounds glorious to one person is horrendous to another.

I must also confess that prior to joining AGF, I never knew what "quack" was and never noticed it. Ever.

Not sure this has contributed anything but I thought I'd share.

Best,
PJ